Skilled Workers – Get Ready to Immigrate to Canada!

 Skilled Workers – Get Ready to Immigrate to Canada!


If you are interested in immigrating and working in Canada, there are a few different ways to materialize your dream depending on your situation. For skilled workers moving to UK  exercising certain occupations, the best option may be the Canadian Federal Skilled Workers program.

Federal Skilled Workers Program

The Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) program was introduced in the Canadian Immigration system in 2002. This program was -and still is- intended to welcome workers who show sufficient skills to adapt to the dynamic labour market associated with global and local economy. Since 2002, the Canadian government has determined various occupations considered eligible for immigration under this program based on current and long-term gaps in the Canadian labour market. About 240,000 immigrants per year were selected and admitted to Canada under this category between 2002 and 2008. In 2010, the Canadian government decided to review their immigration policies and reduced the number of eligible occupations to 29. To be eligible, applicants must have at least 1 year continuous and paid work experience in one of the eligible occupations.

A points-based system
The FSW program is a points-based system similar to those in force in countries like the UK or Australia. Skilled workers who have experience in an eligible occupation are selected based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. The following criteria are considered:
•Work experience
•Knowledge of English and/or French
•Other criteria such as previous studies or work in Canada

To be selected under this category, you need to score a minimum of 67 points.

The whole process takes around one year depending on the country you apply from which is quite long compared to processing times in other countries for similar programs, but if you are selected, you will be granted permanent residence and be allowed to apply for Canadian citizenship after only 3 years continuous residence in Canada.



Leave a Comment